Lower Backpain/ Lumbar Spine Pain
Lower back pain remains an enigma in the medical community. Poorly understood and generally still poorly managed hard answers are difficult to come by. Although there are many things we still don’t know about back pain, we do know that keeping active and trying to maintain movement and flexibility is effective. We do know that bed-rest and complete cessation of activities only makes the back stiffer and the pain remain longer.
What to Expect When You Come to an Asia Physio Clinic with Back Pain?
Before treatment will take a history of your condition to get a picture of what is causing your back pain, and what makes it better we do not require investigations (scans or X-rays) to conduct an initial assessment, however if we feel they are required we can refer you to a relevant clinic.
We will also conduct a physical assessment of the musculoskeletal and neural systems to identify which areas are stiff and restricted in movement that require loosening and stretching and which areas are weak and require strengthening.
What Treatment Will I Receive?
Although we do not treat to a formula and our choice of treatment is always related to each condition individually, we may use the following therapies:
- Heat packs to draw blood to the muscles, reduce pain and inflammation.
- Remedial massage the take tension from the muscles and facilitate movement
- Gentle joint mobilisations to breakdown adhesions and free up movement in the joints between vertebrae. Only physiotherapists can provide joint mobilisations.
- Simple and gentle exercises to self-treat and prevent pain for long after your therapy session
- Spinal and core exercises to improve the movement in the spine and make long-term improvements in posture and flexibility.
- Self-management interventions through advice on occupational and home ergonomics, self-massage and self-mobilisations other prevention and management strategies related to your lifestyle.
You may also be interested in our back-improvement program – 4 Weeks to a Better Back.